Nasir & Gayoom: despotic rulers - Anni


MDP Presidential Candidate Mohamed Nasheed (Anni) has said that former President Ibrahim Nasir and incumbent President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom are despotic rulers. Anni made the statement last night speaking at a campaign rally held at Thinadhoo of Gdh atoll, according to a statement released MDP campaign office. MDP campaign office informed that Anni is currently touring the islands of Gdh atoll to win support for his bid to win the top job of the country.

According to MDP campaign office, Anni at the rally held at Thinadhoo said that former president Ibrahim Nair was a tyrant who has caused many injustices to the people of the island and that after his resignation the incumbent President Gayoom has done nothing to remedy the situation. Anni said that in order to sustain his rule and power, people have been jailed and injustices have continued and that these injustices are carried out with the full knowledge of the top officials of the country, according to MDP.

“Under Ibrahim Nasir’s regime and Maumoon Abdul Gayoom’s regime we know the situation and condition of our prisons; we know what goes in there, and I am sure our top officials also knows the what is happening there, the sufferings of the convicts, I am sure President Gayoom is fully aware of how I spent 18 months in solitary confinement, I am sure former president Nasir would have known the condition Katheeb Saeed when he passed a way in Male’ jail. How he much he suffered until his death” Nasheed said.


According to MDP campaign office, Anni for the first time disclosed how he was tortured in Dhoonidhoo Jail under President Gayoom’s government.


“I was out in Dhoonidhoo Jail in 1990, then I was subjected to severe torture, they kept me tied to chair with my hand cuffed behind my back for more two weeks, exposed to the elements, in rains and sunshine, after which they chained me behind the Dhoonidhoo Power House and kept me there for more 10 days, they also kept me cuffed for more than seven months in a cell made out of corrugated sheet and 18 months in solitary confinement” Anni had revealed.

“I started this work as I am not willing to see our children and children’s children to be subjugated to such inhumane acts, ever” Anni said.

Comments