30 seconds with surfer and model Roxy Louw

Mad about the Maldives: Surfer turned model Roxy Louw says the adrenaline rush of surfing is indescribable. Picture: SA sports illustrated



What’s it like being featured in SA Sports Illustrated’s Swimwear edition?

It’s a dream come true, I still sit in disbelief that I am part of it.

What was the shoot in the Maldives like?

The Maldives are amazing. One of the most beautiful places I have been to. I was also fortunate enough to share a room with (fellow model) Joelle (Kayembe), the two of us had so much fun together. Plus I got to take my board and catch a surf.

Do you get your looks from your mother or your father?

(Laughs) People say they look like brother and sister.

Does it feel strange making money from your looks?

It can be, but I don’t see myself in the images only because it’s a character or role that I must play for the image, whether it be a biker or a bride. After all, it takes many people and hard work to get the perfect image so it’s not all my work... it’s the hairdressers, stylists and make- up artists who also create the image.
Your profile at your modelling agency describes you as a professional surfer turned model, which are you exactly?

At the time that Outlaws Models discovered me, I was still a junior at school surfing the SA circuit and travelling abroad with my fellow Oakley team riders. Today I dedicate my full time to modelling, free surfing, soul surfing abroad and still travelling for Oakley.

What gives you a bigger thrill, making a magazine cover or mastering a monster wave?

The adrenaline rush/stoke of surfing is indescribable.

Tell us about your Baywatch moment last year?

I was chilling on my balcony and looking at the ocean and when I looked again, there was a boat going down and people abandoning it and floating towards shore, where there were huge swells. I grabbed my wet suit, called the NSRI and ran down the stairs to try and help. I did not even have my board with me because I didn’t have fins in at the time. When I got down the 300 stairs to Second Beach, I helped the guys out of the breakers with a life-saver girl.

You turned 21 in June; did you get up to anything dastardly?

Other than getting a brand-new red Subaru Impreza and taking it for a spin, nothing much.

Your dad Rob Louw is an iconic rugger bugger. Do you think he’s elated you’re a model or disappointed you’re not a boy?

(Laughs) It took my folks three girls before my little big brother popped out, but I had my fair share of tomboyish behaviour before he popped out six years later. I played rugby, fished, built tree houses, walked with him on the golf course, raced rubber ducks, braaied and did athletics. So he is pretty happy that his little tomboy has grown up to be a tomboy lady.

Dan Carter or Francois Steyn?

Francois. I prefer the rugged look.

You’ve been everywhere , which is your favourite place?

Scenically, I’d have to say the Maldives, but as an all-round package, I love Mozambique. Africa lies in all our blood and the people and ambience there are indescribable.

One question you wanted us to ask you that we didn’t?

What is: (2q+47.276531q) 5762? (Laughs) Just kidding! — Simnikiwe Xabanisa

Comments